Wednesday, March 21, 2012

First meeting fears.....

Hi, My name is Katie and I am a compulsive over eater.

:::Hi Katie:::

I remember the first time I walked into an Over-eaters Anonymous meeting. I was completely overwhelmed.

I didn't need to be there; even though the doctor recommend that I tried it. I was not one of those people that ate all the chocolate in the house; I never made myself throw up after eating a ton of crap; I never ate a ton of food. Why was I here? I did not need to be here.

As I sat in silence trying not to make eye contact with anyone, I listened to story after story of struggles that people were having that week. It felt like I was reading my own diary. How had these people known exactly the way my brain worked? How did they know how I was feeling day after day? Had the doctor called them and told them to rehearse this? No. They just understood. They didn't judge. They didn't laugh. They didn't even act like I wasn't 'normal'. They cared. They listened. They undersood. That's when I thought, maybe I did belong there.

Katie

No comments: